|City of Killeen, Texas|
The City of Killeen was born May 15, 1882, when the Santa Fe Railroad extended its line westward. Named for Frank P. Killeen, an official of the railroad in Galveston, some believe that Killeen may have been among the railroad dignitaries on the train that arrived to mark the beginning of the town, but it has never been confirmed. The town of about 300 people became a shipping point of the area for agricultural products, cotton in particular.
In the next 60 years, the city prospered and grew to over 1,200 people. But in 1942, this small railroad town became home to military post Camp Hood. The military camp’s impact was tremendous more than quintupling Killeen’s population in its first few years.
After World War II, the Army was looking for a place to train soldiers in tank destroyer tactics, and Killeen fit the bill. Camp Hood was named for Confederate General John Bell Hood. The initial installation covered 160,000 acres, most of Killeen’s best farming land, forcing many families from their homesteads. In 1950, the camp was declared a permanent post changing its name to Fort Hood.
Killeen was now a military town, so its goal became to make it the best town for military families to live. Supporting our soldiers and their families is still the top priority today.
The town and the fort grew together. Killeen worked to develop infrastructure that would incorporate the military base and its needs. Immediate needs were water leading to the construction of Belton Lake and later, Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir; the construction of better highways to meet military and civilian travel needs; major construction to provide housing; and an accompanying growth in retail business.
In ensuing years, the city secured facilities like libraries, hotels, shopping centers, an airport, golf course, and more recently, a community theater, top-notch movie theater, restaurants, and civic and conference center.
This small agriculture turned railroad turned military town now has a population of over 112,000 people. With tremendous growth in retail trade and in dining facilities in the late 90s, Killeen has spread its trade area to cover a 100-mile stretch of Central Texas pulling people in to take advantage of the special services the city offers.
For more information about our city, go to www.gkcc.com
The city elects its mayor and three council members at large, meaning that every registered voter within the city limits may vote for all four of these positions. The other four council members represent specific geographical areas or districts of the city and are elected by voters living in their districts.
Terms for the mayor and all council members are two years, with a three-consecutive-term limitation for each office. The city holds nonpartisan elections each May with the terms staggered so about half the council is elected each year. The mayor and the at-large council members are elected in even-numbered years, while the four district council members are elected in odd-numbered years.
Killeen offers many services of a metropolitan city. With over 1,200 regular full-time employees, the city is one of the largest employers in the Killeen area. In addition to police and fire forces, which were expanded this year, the city owns and operates its own emergency medical services, water, sewer, and garbage utilities, two airports, an 18-hole golf course, a public library system with two locations, and numerous parks and recreation facilities, including two public swimming pools.
The powers of city government range from enforcing building standards to regulating noise on city streets. The complete code of ordinances is available at City Hall at 101 North College Street and is constantly updated as the City Council adds, amends, and repeals ordinances.
For more information on the services offered by the city of Killeen, you may call City Hall at (254) 501 - 7600 or visit the city web site at www.ci.killeen.tx.us.
The official Korean website is: www.osan.go.kr
This city became Osan-si (the city of Osan) on January 1st, 1989. Its administrative precinct covers 42.752km2, and is composed of 6 dongs, 178 tongs, and 959 bans (dong, tong, and ban are Korean names of administrative precinct units of various sizes and characteristics). As of the end of 2001, the population of Osan was 114,540, but it is expected to reach 300,000 in 2010 due to the residential area developments in the Woonam, Suchung, and Gweul-dong districts, as well as the huge condominium complex that is scheduled to be built. Industrial areas span 1.231km2, or 2.9% of the entire city, and 156 plants are in operation in the area. Currently, another industrial complex covering 0.275km2 (about 83,000 pyung) is scheduled to be built. It is expected that existing companies will be free to relocate to the new complex after its completion, and that many cutting-edge products will be manufactured here, contributing to the development of the local economy.
Occupying an area of 42.752km2, the city of Osan is located at 127° east longitude and 37° north latitude. Osan is located south of Dongtan-myon, south of Taean-up, and east of Chongnam-myon. Pyongtaek City is also located nearby, south of Osan.
Osan is geographically composed of subdivisions, which are built on a plain that extends from north to south. Osan is a pleasant suburban living area. The city is 56.9 km from Seoul, and 15.4 km from Suwon.
The city combines urban communities, agricultural fields and industrial sites. With the completion in the new millennium of the Shihwa Industial Site, Daebu Tour District, the West Sea land reclamation project, and the development of Pyongtaek harbor, Osan has the potential to function as a power, distribution, transportation, and information center for the southern capital area.
Let's become polite and diligent residents of Osan. Let's care for our neighbors, and lead frugal and happy lives with our families. Let's use our wisdom to build a city with culture; conserving our traditions while creating new art. Let's not hesitate to participate in community affairs. Let's keep strong faith in cooperation.